Disabled Facilities Grants: is a local council grant to help towards the cost of adapting your home to enable you to continue to live there. A grant is paid where the council considers the changes necessary to meet your needs - and the work is reasonable and practical. You can claim if you, or someone living in your property, is disabled and: you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, are either the owner or tenant (including licensees) of the property and you, or the person on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their only or main residence throughout the grant period - currently five years. If you are disabled, acceptable types of work include:

widening doors and installing ramps; providing or improving access to rooms and facilities - for example, by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom; improving or providing a heating system which is suitable for your needs; adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use; improving access to and movement around the home to enable you to care for another person who lives in the property, such as a child. An occupational therapist will look at your circumstances and will recommend the type of adaptation needed. Apply to the housing or environmental health department of your local council

How much do you get? The amount paid is usually based on a financial assessment (a 'means test') of your average weekly income in relation to your outgoings - or 'assessed needs'. However, there is no means testing for families of disabled children under 19. Means testing will take into account savings above a certain limit, but certain benefits - including Disability Living Allowance and/or Income Support - are generally ignored. If you have a partner, your combined income will be assessed jointly. Capital is included in the means test. The first 6,000 of savings is disregarded. A range of premiums and allowances is used for all essential outgoings, for example, rent/mortgage and personal expenditure. Actual outgoings are not taken into consideration. Depending on the outcome of this assessment the amount of financial assistance offered can vary from 0 to 100 per cent of the cost. How the award is worked out The award works as follows: if your income is less than your assessed needs you will not normally need to contribute to the cost of the works if your income is more than your assessed needs, a proportion of your income will be used to calculate what size loan you could contribute towards the cost of the works if this assessed loan amount is less than the cost of the works, the difference between the two is paid as a Disabled Facilities Grant

Maximum grant amount 25,000 per application is the maximum Disabled Facilities Grant that a council is required to pay in England - less any assessed contribution from you. If the cost of the eligible works is more, the council can use discretionary powers to increase the grant. Effect on other benefits A Disabled Facilities Grant will not affect any benefits you are getting. For further information click here to visit the Direct Gov website.

How to obtain state benefits and support ...

Contact us and we will make your claim a success.


Amputation injury sufferers have a right to receive NHS medical treatment and care and accommodation from the state:


To qualify for state assistance the injured person needs to satisfy financial criteria about their capital and income. Once financial qualification is satisfied a S.48 assessment must be carried out by the Local Authority. Then physical or financial assistance will be provided. It is difficult to apply for these benefits and we will work with your solicitors to ensure you have assistance from case managers, medical and benefits experts to obtain and to maximise your entitlement so State Benefits.

Call Andrew Ritchie QC

Tel: 0207 832 0500

E-mail: aritchie@9goughsq.co.uk